For many of us the daily challenges we face can feel like too much to handle on some days. Modern medicine tells us we must learn to reduce the stress in our lives. We’re told to just calm down, relax, chill! If you’re like me those suggestions are not helpful. So how do we start?
I recently started a daily practice of meditating for ten minutes. Only ten minutes, y’all! And it’s helping my overall emotional and physical well-being. It may seem daunting to BEgin but that’s all it takes. And in the end, learning to just BE is one of the most important things we can do for self-care.
Here are my 5 steps to BEing calm:
- BEgin today. Don’t wait any longer. There’s no right or wrong way to meditate. It’s basically sitting still and breathing. You are already breathing so now all you have to do is sit still and just BE for ten minutes. It can be anywhere, preferably where you can BE alone but even if you can’t, you can still BE still and breathe, anywhere. Sitting in a chair, on the floor, with legs crossed or straight out in front, are all perfectly fine. BE comfortable.
- Use a phone app if you can. I am using one called Calm and another called HeadSpace. I tried both with free trials and ended up purchasing a subscription to each. These are great tools to help us get started because they guide us through the ten minutes, reminding us to focus on our breath and walk us through relaxing and just BEing. These apps also have tools for helping us sleep with relaxing sounds in the background. You don’t NEED an app to meditate but I have found it excellent for a beginner like me.
- Light a candle or incense if you are so inclined. These are not mandatory but I find it helpful to set the mood relaxation relaxation.
- Set reminders to practice at whatever time of day works best for you. Experts say first thing in the morning is best, but I grab my ten minutes when it’s convenient for me – usually in the middle of the day.
- BEgin. There’s no better time than now. The benefits of this short daily practice are immense and cannot be denied. Just ten minutes a day of BEing still, calming the mind, and breathing deeply with awareness of the breath, can reap huge health benefits both physically and emotionally. Now keep it up because before long this new habit will be something you look forward to every single day.
2 thoughts on “5 Steps to BEing Calm”
I can’t believe you posted this today. I’ve been so busy with soap making and life and feeling overwhelmed. This time of the year is crazy for most people, but for me, it’s insane. I sat on the floor in my soap studio about an hour ago. I probably stayed there 10 minutes, breathing, trying to find calm in the chaos. (Literally, my studio was a mess.) When I was done I decided to clean up instead of finishing my work, so the room would look organized and I would feel more peaceful. I love how you’re on my wavelength. 🙂
Oh how I relate to that overwhelmed feeling. I admire ALL you do, year after year with Alegna Soap. I was just thinking about the second time we ‘met’ on the airport shuttle heading to conference (can’t remember which year it was) and I felt so connected to you, again. I am amazed by your dedication and commitment. There you were sitting on the floor, breathing, in the midst of all the chaos! That’s self-care right there! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Oh and interestingly, after I posted it I saw a similar article in the New York Times (I think it was) about the importance of BEing still. Okay, they didn’t use my ‘BEing’ but it was pretty similar. Sending you love and hugs, friend.
Comments are closed.